You may have noticed that we have a few “Crisis’s” to deal with in the next few weeks. Be concerned, aware and nimble but don’t buy the hype. Get on your prep basics, have a little cash on hand to get you through a bank run/holiday. Do an inventory of what you have on hand and what you will need following the basics of shelter, security, water, food, sanitation and 1st aid. If you have some weak points now is the time to get focused, you got to prioritize. I’m not asking you to become an expert at “3rd world surgery” or power generation. I’ve not had to do that in this recession. Just be aware for instance: Beef prices may come down because of the drought in Kansas, OK and Texas and the rising cost of feed we may see a drop in price of beef in the next few months.
Do you have freezer space, canning jars or other ways of preserving beef? Cause next year prices will be higher!
My garden has been a bit of a bust. Expanded a bit more quickly than I should have, needed to start more seeds earlier but I wanted to see how growing crops straight from seed would work. Answer: not great, starts are the way to go… But I did learn something. My neighbor’s garden is doing great. I’ll drag my little propane stove out and we will have a canning party. You got to build those relationships now before things go bad. Know who you can count on and who you can’t. You are not an Island! You will need help and so will other folks.
So let’s look back and see what we have accomplished:
- You have done your basic shopping list and have food for 3 weeks to 6 months.
- Water source and a way to purify in the future and enough on hand that will cover your family for 3 weeks.
- Security: I don’t have all I want, but I have several ways to protect my family. It can be built on and perfected.
- Food: you have at least 3 weeks worth or more and building.
- Heat/Shelter: from extra blankets, clothes, tents and and RVs. No, it won’t be pleasant but you could leave in a day if needed.
- Financial insurance: Your choice, I think you know how I feel. But make it work for you.
I do think we are getting close to an “event” around August. I was really hoping for November time frame. I want a good harvest, “I maybe whistling in the dark” on that one. I want the “Mob” huddled up and trying to stay warm. It’s not nice, but it’s reality for me. Almost all mobs and riot happen in warm weather unless a sale is on for Xmas gifts.