The manual programming of the Baofeng worked out nicely. I was impressed with how good the little radio sounded. The voices were nice and crisp and there wasn’t any distortion. My next radio task will be using the CHIRP software to program my radios and then Mom’s radio and a spare Baofeng. If I know Dad he will probably want to go big with SW and maybe install a base station. I don’t know to much about the Radio he uses for his CG Aux. Radio facility. It’s possible it has the capability to do more on the SW freq. and once he has his Tech License he can use that radio. The next test for the tech license is on Sat. the 15th of March and I’m feeling more confident about the test especially since setting up the radio. Of course I could not transmit but I seem to have moved from theory to practice. When I got the first radio I was intimidated and felt I knew just enough to really screw up. I have a couple of SW receivers that I will test out for getting local and emergency broadcasts. I’ll add a little cheat sheet of the local freq. so it should be easy to tune in to local information. I started this project as a practical means of backup communication but it is turning out to be a lot of fun learning and doing this Ham radio stuff.
Dad stopped by the house and repaired the toilet. He ended up replacing the old rigid supply line with the new flexible line I bought as well as the shut off valve. Everything looks good but the flapper isn’t sealing perfectly so I will need to get a new one to install. That repair looks simple so by Wed. that toilet should be good to go with nearly all new internal parts. I’m guessing that the toilets are at least 20 + years old so doing some repair work isn’t all that unexpected. I might as well stop fighting it as it seems this is the year to get as many repairs and updates done as possible and the budget allows. While not exactly what I had in mind when I planned my 2014 goals it should work out okay. I’m in fairly good financial shape so I can afford to do thing the right way instead of just getting by the cheapest way possible on most things.
The last of the soap making supplies and solar parts should arrive this week. Next week is supposed to be fairly sunny so it will be a good time to set up the solar generator and see how much power I can generate. Last but not least it’s time to get some maint. work done on the mini-van instead of ignoring it to get other stuff done. Perhaps if I get a little more proactive I won’t get blindsided by repair bills. If/when the SHTF it might be just a tad difficult to get repair parts or repairs done and I don’t expect the basics to get cheaper this year so I need to get those repairs done as quickly as possible.
Update: Took the Kia to Les Schwab to have the brakes checked out and all that was needed is the rear breaks adjusted. He said the front brakes look nearly brand new and the rear breaks are in great shape. Best of all they waved the $20.oo fee for adjusting the brakes. I know some people think Les Schwab is kind of expensive but they are one place that still does great customer service.