Had a couple of sunny days that dried out the yard and today was in the high 50’s so I was able to get some yard work done. Mom gave me two shopping bags full of lavender plants and a bag of mums that she thinned out from her yard. So I had a good motivator to get to work. I think I found a good spot for the new plants by the patio. I have a rose bush that grows very well there so I trimmed back the rose bush and made a couple of new planting beds for the lavender and mums. My soil has a lot of clay but where I made the new lavender bed was a little rocky and I think that the new plants should do pretty good in that area. The mums I planted on the other side of the rose bush next to the BBQ grill. I did not know mums are a insect deterrent so I figure next to the grill and patio is a perfect spot and it is well away from my garden beds. Repelling mosquitoes is a good thing, repelling bees is bad! I added a few plants called Persian Buttercups but they look nothing like a buttercup. They sort of look like a rose in the outside petals but with a dark green center. I think they are a striking looking plant and I hope the do well in that spot.
While I had the rototiller out for getting the plant beds done I got the raised beds turned over. I still need to rake and cleanup a little bit but it is amazing how black and rich the soil looks in the raised beds this year. I added a bit of old straw and rabbit manure last year then left a thin layer of leaves on top over the winter and I have high hopes for the garden this year. I used the rototiller to break up the dirt that has humped up and settled from the water main. Didn’t get out to the RV parking area but I got most of the work done in the back yard. I never really appreciated how much clay is in the soil here until this year. Improving the soil of the entire back yard is going to take some time but I’m tired of dumping all kinds of junk on the lawn just trying to make it look good. It will take some extra physical work but work, but in time it should payoff with nice healthy growth for all plants. I’m rethinking my compost area and building it up with scrounged pallets. I have a couple of places that will let me have them for free and it should not be to hard to build with a little bit of hardware.
I added a bunch of straw to the dirt for the tater bucket and filled a rolling 30 gallon trash can about a third full with the excess soil from the water main job. I’ll use this dirt to top off the potatoes as they grow. I have not had much luck growing potatoes in ground so it will be interesting how well the party bucket does and how much yield I get in taters. I cleared a rain barrel area of grape vines and filled a big garbage bin full of cuttings. I still have one really bad spot to clean up on one of my Cherry trees that the grape vines are climbing like mad. I have few canes that are so thick that I will have to use the saw on them to get them cut. My little battery power saw keeps throwing the chain so I need to read the instructions again and see if I missed a step putting it together. The corded electric chains saw is still working great and I did a little trimming with it instead.
I did much better than usual getting all my tools out and doing stuff the easy way with power. It was a tiring day and I know I’m going to pay for it, but it felt good to play in the dirt and get stuff done. The weather forecast has a some rain and perhaps a thunderstorm on Friday but I can brush out the dogs and take it somewhat easy physically before doing more work this weekend.