Only needed to make one stop for the mulch and watermelon plant. Not sure if it’s a joke on me, but there was a basil plant in the watermelon section. At least I can recognize basil and manage to get the watermelon plant this time. I picked up 6 of the bags of mulch and got most of the walkways between the beds covered. I think the area looks very nice with the red of the mulch contrasting with the green of the garden plants. Found some info about fixing clay soil and while it was talking about a 100 sq. ft. area for a garden, I think that will be good section of the yard for me to work on. Where water main was dug is devoid of grass anyway so I can start there and work out towards the rest of the yard. In the areas that have grass I am using my garden fork to poke holes in the soil while it is wet and after it drys I will add some gypsum that should aerate the soil. This will be one of those long term projects!
The hard lemonade is bottled but instead of adding lemon zest I added a few drops of lemon essential oil. So far the taste is mostly alcohol but I hope it will improve after sitting in the bottle for a few days. The bootlegger bottle could be used to make herbal elixirs for your natural medicine chest. I think I could make my favorite cough remedy using real lemon juice and honey as the ferment-able sugar. This is a new way of making alcohol so there is a bit of a learning curve but this test shows that even using a powdered drink mix it is possible to make an Adult beverage.
June is starting to like a busy month doing work in the yard, setting up the outdoor kitchen and getting all the wood cut and stacked for this winter. I have made a lot of progress on my 2014 goals even with the water main issue which kind of surprised me.