The comfrey leaves dried last night so I’m infusing the the oil tonight and will see what I get in the morning. Some of the recipes I have found are a little bit vague on the amount of dried comfrey to infuse the oil. Also there is a big difference between 2 cups by weight or by volume so I’m guesstimating on the dried comfrey. I’m using two 14 oz. jars with 8 oz. of coconut oil in each jar. I added enough dried comfrey leaves to each jar to be completely covered by the oil. The jars are sitting in a water filled pan on a a warming plate to keep the oil in liquid form. From what I have seen of the finished salve the oil should be very dark green almost black in color, so I have a general idea how long to infuse the oil.
Mom is using the pain salve on some of area away from her incision and she had blisters from a reaction to the tape used at the hospital. The open wound areas are almost healed so it should be safe to use the salves carefully. One reason I want to get the comfrey salve done is so Mom can try it out on the areas where the prosthesis connects to the bone and that are so painful. Mom will be my lab rat for the comfrey and this a great test for it’s bone healing properties. Mom tried the pain salve on her Fybro pressure points and it seem to help her a lot. Neighbor S. tried some of the pain salve on a sore knee and she was blown away by how fast it worked and wants to have some on hand.
I got some of the blackboard paint at Joann’s. I got the spray on blackboard paint and it is supposed to work on glass so this weekend I will do some tests on how well the paint adheres to glass bottles and jars and how well it stands up to being washed. While looking around Joann’s I found some great decorative bottles and small jars that will be perfect for the oils and salves that I’m making with herbs and essential oils. The jars and bottles could be used as gifts, barter or even sold at the local farmer’s market. I like the wide mouth half-pint jars when I make up the salve for my own use.
Made up a batch of the hard lemonade in the Bootlegger bottle that is ready to bottle. Next I will try juicing the plums and peaches to see how they work out making alcohol in the bottle.