It seems that we have made some progress on the mouse problem in the basement. Ironically we now have a bit of a problem of the mice moving into the main floor and into the closet and bedroom areas. In a way this is good news as it means we are starting to affect the mouse problem in the basement, downside is we have the mice coming up to the main floor. I’m trying out some strategies for attacking the problem in the living areas.
- A lot more sticky traps are being laid out in the living areas. While sticky traps are not reusable they are much safer than Snap-traps to use if you have pets, children or if your hand strength is a bit “iffy” because of a handicap.
- Adding more of the Tomcat traps for closets bedrooms and perhaps the attic. These are very safe and effective traps even if you use a bit of grain for bait. I’m going to get a small Snack pack size peanut butter from the local dollar store to be the bait for the new traps.
- The “Pet safe” mouse pellets were a bust! We found 1 mouse that might have died via the pellets. I recommend you buy a Tom cat trap instead of wasting your money on a bag of those pellets.
- The Balsam oil sachets did help with the odors and seemed to start moving mice out of the basement. I think the Fresh Cab Rodent repellent sachets are worth a try for getting rid of rodents and maybe a good preventative to help keep mice away.
- The Clorox urine spray seems to work equally well on all animal urine odors and cleanup.
- Washing down the basement walls/floor with a mild bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) seems to disrupt the mouse trails as well as sanitize. Plus it really helps get rid of the urine odor on hard surfaces at a low cost.
- I dropped the ball on this but a disinfectant spray is a great thing to use before you start clean up. I did not even think about giving the dirty area a good spray down before I started my cleanup. I had few can of this Lysol type disinfectant spray but only added it to day on the basement cleanup.
Things done this week:
I got the lawn mowed and added about 8 bags of mulch to the backyard walk areas. Mom weeded the garden and got the grape vines cut back from the 3 sisters garden.
Re-organized a cabinet and sprayed down some bug barrier spray in the kitchen.
Plan for this week:
- Get a Ryobi impact driver tool and perhaps fan that is rechargeable.
- Finish up the compost bin walls and cut down a dead cherry tree.
- Get wood delivered, stacked and covered so it can dry.
- Finish cleaning up the basement food storage area.
- Buy plywood for shelves in the basement buy paint to protect the wood shelves.
Gosh that is plenty to get done for a week. Mom is focusing on getting her “community service hours” for her Master Gardeners class, so I’m going to be doing many jobs myself. Don’t worry I’ll only start cutting the tree when I have Mom as backup.
I’ve been prepping for almost a decade and I still think of myself as a newbie to prep because I still make mistakes. Mistakes are how I have learned on my little adventure. Remember there is a very good chance you will screw up while you are learning and that is a good thing! I really “SCREWED THE POOCH” on my basement storage. No drama needed, I am just trying to correct my screw ups. Learn from my mistakes and save time, effort and money on your prepping adventure.