Mom and I split another load of mill ends. So Mom’s truck got loaded yesterday and I finished getting my mill ends stacked today. I figure another full load of mill ends should give me about 2/3’s of a cord of mill ends. I’m undecided if I want buy one more full load so I have a full cord of mill ends on hand. Last year Mom ended up in charge of the wood stove since she is more sensitive to feeling cold. She really like starting a little fire of the mill ends when she woke up at 0 dark thirty just to warm the house up in the fall. I wake up later so the house didn’t seem as cold to me in the AM. Plus I tend to prefer a cooler house compared to Mom. I suppose I’ll make that decision in June or July after I get the Doug fir delivered and stacked.
I’m very excited about getting the two cords of wood delivered mid-April. I have cleared one wood rack and have started clearing out the second rack. Moving the wood is taking a little longer than I first anticipated because I’m trying to have a good mix of wood accessible in each rack. I’m cutting the older wood to size for kindling. I’d like to fill a small rack (6ft. x 4ft.) that is just kindling. I’m having to cut down or split some of the older chunks that were to big to burn in my wood stove. Both of these jobs are easier in Spring/Fall when the weather is nice.
I got the lumber for framing the first two garden beds. The 2 x 6 x 10 foot boards cost just under $10.00 each. I was able to save on the 2 x 4 corner post cost, as I have plenty of mill ends that are in the 12 inch to 18 inch range. If you want to do this sort of raised bed garden I’d budget at least $100.00 for the cost of lumber and soil for two raised beds. I got a few bags of soil and manure to fill up the raised beds as needed. I have used this mix for other raised beds and last year Mom had it tested via her Master Gardeners course. I roto-till this Bagged soil with the natural soil and it test out to be nearly ph neutral with plenty of minerals. Speaking just for myself, once you get ph neutral then it is easier to add supplements for individual plants.
I still have plenty of yard clean up to get done! from cleaning up deadwood, to pruning my fruit trees. I think my little roto- tiller has a few hours worth of work on the new garden beds as well as working the “chicken run” crusted chicken residue back into the soil. Once I remove a small tree, clean up the chicken residue and a small tree I might get the hard side green house set up this summer. The green house might help extend the Fall growing season this year. Honestly the green house will be next to my shop and I could heat it year round. I’m not sure about the trade off costs of electricity and vegetables at this time. Probably no worse than heating the chicken house for eggs last winter.
Once the dead tree is removed I’ll see about setting up the green house. I may have to move the compost bins and level the ground.
I’d like to remind you all that have been prepping along with me. Don’t forget to stock up once things change or settle down in your life. Having Mom live with me was great but I also used up some prepped items because money was tight. A few stitches here or a major surgery for a pet can really hurt your cash flow. These things happen and you just have to roll with that “Emergency Cash Fund/Savings” getting used from time to time. I mean that it is why you have an Emergency Cash Fund. Don’t make the mistake I did. Emergency funds and Savings funds should be kept separate. I know that is not always possible but I treated Emergency savings and regular saving as the same thing, they are not the same. When building the emergency fund go heavy starting out but at least put a little bit into your savings fund. As you build up the Emergency fund start moving more cash into your savings fund. At least that is what I’m working on.
Last but not least I got my big bathroom shower head working again! We have very hard water and Lime/hard water scale can build up very quick. That is not usually a problem with faucets as you work the internal parts regularly. Well I do not use the big bathroom shower head regularly and the bypass “latch/valve ” froze up because of hard water scale. A couple of treatments of CLR remover and using pliers to move the shower switch valve. ( Switch/plunger) wrapped in cloth so not to damage the finish and now my shower head works again! Not to knock plumbers as the ones I have had do jobs are great but I bet they hate doing stupid/simple jobs. Goodness knows I hated doing PC repairs that took only connecting a cord or updating drivers or restarting a PC/router/printer. Now that I know the hard water can clog the switch/transfer valve. I’ll go back to using it at least weekly to spray down the tub after cleaning.