The thunderstorm did not arrive until 3:00 PM so the early part of the day was basic yard work. I’m trying out Preen garden weed killer in the alley way. I won’t use Round up and I’m hoping the Preen will kill the weeds in the alley before I start some new plants that do well in poor soil. I did not follow the instructions precisely for the Preen weed killer. I weed waked all of the cheat grass and foxtail weeds spread a layer of the Preen and then watered the area. The alley area has layers of rock and mulch so digging out the weeds to the bare dirt/root layer is not going to happen. My hope is the weeds will start dying back and I can add a mix of sunflowers, sun chokes and perhaps some mossy rose plants to replace the weeds.
Great news most of my gardening hoses survived the winter. I did not store my hoses properly last fall so having one leak, in a cheap light weight water hose was good news. I have been looking at ways to water my garden beds that is effective and low cost and I think I have a place to get all the parts I need and the cost will be around $50.00. Now I’m not using water timers. I will be the “timer” but I think it will conserve water and be a good watering system for the garden.
I was a bit surprised to see the Agriborn frost cloth does not let a lot of rain water hit the raised beds. It does make sense not to let cold water land on plants but I figured the cloth would let liquid water through the cloth. Great news is that the cloth cover raised bed was dry enough to add plants in spite of the rain storms. So I got the broccoli and cauliflower from D&B supply planted. I planted some of the purple onion sets as the onions and these cole crops are good companion plants.
This is the lay out of my first garden bed. I still need to sow the the lettuce and the root crops but I think this is a good start for the early spring garden. A huge advantage of using the frost cloth is my digger dog Tucker has not dug in this bed. PVC arches and frost cloth is much cheaper than installing a garden fence. I have left some open spaces in the garden bed for succession plants starts ready to plant in a couple of weeks. I used the the the basic lay out for the garden beds from https://www.gardenguides.com/garden-planner. It a simple planning website, but it is free and gives you the basics for planning raised beds. I really like using the calendar planner as a basic gardening journal. Jotting down some notes of what you have done and if it works or does not work seems to be working for me.
Sorry my fridge water tray overflowed and I had to cleanup after dumping the water tray. Tucker followed my efforts as if wondering about the muddy paw prints comment. I guess another job is done. That job totally surprised me needing to be done. Well the Kitchen floor has been at least rinsed with water and semi-cleaned…..
The soil in my front yard that supports growing grass looks terrible! The exposed dirt already looks liked poorly baked clay pottery. I have been adding new soil and a lot compost to the back yard grass bed and the soil in the back yard bed is looking better plus the grass seed is putting up sprouts/ actually grass seedling are this spring. I don’t like de-thatching wet grass or soil as much of the marginal grass will get pulled up in the de-thatching rake.
Once it gets a little less rainy I’ll use the de-thatching rake to “scratch” the existing soil, add grass seed along with new dirt and compost. Then work the compost and soil into the front yard with a rake. That is about the best I can do this spring. I do have plans for the fall that will be more comprehensive in repairing the front yard grass.
I’m a little ahead of the game, as far as the garden and building the wood pile but I’m little behind on the front yard.
Good news, I got a Dremel tool to help with small jobs around the house. Supposedly the Dremel will sharpen tools so I’ll test that out on the hatchet. The hatchet is critical for making kindling but it is the lowest cost ax for replacement cost if I screw up.
To recap all that has happen in April so far…
- I have made deeper raise beds and added more soil and compost
- Planted cole crops early Spring in hope the plants won’t bolt. Will replant in fall.
- Started plants early indoors that generally was successful.
- Transplanted plants into larger pots.
- Pots ready to go for the sprout/ kitchen herb planter pots.
- Pre-paid for 2 cords of fire wood delivered in third week of May.
- Started building the “kindling box”.
- Starting the garden early because I have frost cloth to protect the plants. If the weather gets wonky.
Mama nature and politicians often screw up your plans. But overall I think this summer should be relatively simple if not easy.