I got the kitchen drain cleaned out last week and I can say it was an unpleasant job. I learned how to use the plumbing snake to pull the clog out of the pipe, rather than trying to push the snake through the clog. I did not realize that I needed a bit more patience to work the “snake” through the pipe and into the clog. I’m not sure if clogs normally come apart in bits and pieces but that is how my clog got cleared.
My wet/dry shop vac did a darn good job sucking most of the water out of the kitchen drain pipe. I used a sink plug and wrapped a damp dish rag around the vacuum hose at the kitchen drain and sucked about 2.5 gallons of water out of the drain even though my vent pipe placement kept me from sealing off all the air in the pipe. While there was some gunky water that came out after I cleared the clog. I did not have to deal with a flood of smelly water coming out of the pipe clean out. I had about 2-3 gallons of water and clog (gunk) I collected in a couple of buckets after the clog was cleared.
I doubt I’m the only person that escalated into using a caustic drain cleaner you can pour down a sink drain before they try using a plumbing snake. I had a couple of my cleanup towels absolutely shredded by the two week old and diluted caustic drain cleaner. If you decide to use a caustic drain cleaner use a shop vac to get most of the water out of the pipes so the cleaner can work on the clog rather than just sit in your pipes. A Drain King pressure water blast will clean many clogs depending on the vent pipe location. Last but least for DIY cleaning out clogs is the plumbing snake that you can buy for under $50.00 and will do most jobs but will take some time and effort. I have a basement that has exposed plumbing pipes and I’m not dealing with scooting around in a crawl space under a house. If my house had only “crawl space access” to my plumbing. I would have called a plumber and paid the couple hundred bucks to have the clog cleared rather than DIY the job.
It seems almost all of my DIY plumbing jobs take at least 3 hours. Now some of that is I’m learning but some of that is I have an old 1910 house that has had been “renovated” a few times and lets say a few of the renovations were not up to to current year (2019) codes. I’m not exactally a code nazi but when I see some thing as a new DIYer that makes no sense other than “slapping something in place” via this is what I have on hand and it works short term. I totally get why people now try to renovate to code. Or at least common sense level of making stuff easy to maintain/repair in the future. Then again common sense is not that common!
Learning to use the wood stove to heat my house. SW Idaho winters can be a challenge but the cold and snow are only a problem from November to February. I heat only with wood heat, though I keep a couple of electric space heaters on hand to warm up cold areas of the house. I’m doing the wood fires different and burning hot fires in the wood stove. I’m building up coals for lingering over night, rather than adding wood to smolder/smoke without flames. It is early fall and it has not been all that cold this month. What I have noticed is the glass window of my wood stove is staying much cleaner and not “sooting” up and getting dirty like it did last year. My wood stove window needed cleaning every 1-2 weeks now the window is still mostly clean after burning wood for 3 weeks. So I think the stove is burning wood more efficiently and cleaner.
Another change is burning poplar like I burn pine or Doug fir. The wood you can burn is very specific to your region. Telling me to buy maple or oak firewood in Idaho is nearly impossible or very expensive per cord of wood. The Inter mountain west have forests of pine, fir and cedar not stands of hardwood trees. Maple trees are almost considered an invasive species here, as the trees tend to die off quickly after a couple of decades.
Fruit woods like apple, cherry, peach and apricots seem to grow well in this area. Those trees are not always an available resource for firewood. So I’ll have to deal with the wood I can afford to buy and burn it as efficiently and cost effective as possible. Actually it does not matter except for a burning the most efficient clean burn wood fire. I’m burning poplar clean in my wood stove and my Doug fir is burning clean in the wood stove. I’m will be warm this winter and I’m very good with that situation!
I cut up more kindling to fill my “kindling box” and I’m worn out. I did a basic job of splitting some doug fir for 30minutes and then cut into kindling. Splitting wood into kindling takes a lot of time and the work cutting kindling is not easier than splitting wood as it takes a lot more time chopping wood. I split a bunch of doug fir into smaller sizes to be cut into kindling in 20-30 minutes. I spent over an hour cutting some of that wood into kindling and I still did not get through all of the cut wood! I’m guesstimating but I have at least 4 weeks worth of kindling for myself and mom.
I had to quit cutting kindling because it was getting dark and I was getting tired. I sanded off some rust on my Charcoal grill and added some high heat paint. Once that paint cures for a day I’ll sand and add another layer of High temp paint.
I survived another birthday and got a few job done. Not perfect but good enough for me.